When I first searched term” Desktop Virtualization” on google got these two commercial ads results in Top. One is promoted by Citrix & Amazon. Now what they talk about virtual Desktop Computing Service. Indeed they are offering these Services. why am telling you all these stuff? I just want to keep it simple.
- 1 what we mean by Desktop Virtualization
- 2 Comparing VMware vs. VirtualBox
- 3 Few features offered by VMware workstation listed below –
- 4 While VirtualBox Offer These Features
- 4.1 Drawbacks of using VirtualBox compare to VMWare
- 4.2 FAQ People also ask –
- 4.3 best virtual machine for mac
what we mean by Desktop Virtualization
It is a technology that is used to host virtual computer systems in your physical computer systems. A system within a System Oh Yes :-p.
Note – [ If you already familiar with Virtualization Skip this Information scroll to VMWare vs Virtual Box below ]
Suppose that for various purposes, like anything testing, the specific old window 98 software you might want to run in window 10 OS that is not possible etc you need an old Window 98 OS to run, what will you do? will buy a new system, second-hand system another option?
Seriously Are You Going To do this …
This is where Desktop Virtualization came in action to run that old os supportive software all you need to set up a virtual Desktop Machine within your computer system with window 98 OS. you are done. so this is desktop virtualization. Running Multiple Cloud Machines in a physical Computer.
Technical Definition Of Desktop Virtualization – Desktop virtualization, is a virtualization technology used to separate a computer desktop environment from the physical computer. Desktop virtualization is considered a type of client-server computing model because the “virtualized” desktop is stored on a centralized, or remote, server and not the physical machine being virtualized.
In the Today’s Era of Technology, Desktop virtualization became a must tool for many tech enterprises. with the power of Desktop Virtualization, one can run multiple machines within a single computer machine’s. Few benefits of Desktop Virtualization Listed below->
- Testing New apps in a separate computer machine
- Test application’s on various computer operating system’s since the user can install multiple cloud systems within a physical computer system.
- setting up an encrypted & virtualized computer system for remote employees.
- testing with the older program is possible with virtual computer machine. if you wish to operate a software from 95 eras, probably that software will work with window 95. all you need to do is set up a VM machine with window 95 OS. It will work flawlessly.
- The user can access virtual machine from anyone with remote access. Transfer virtual machines between devices and servers possible
Things to Note Down Regarding virtual machine – It uses your computer hardware resources to run an operating system. So before moving ahead to compare of both VM machine. we assume that you are using a computer system with good hardware configuration. what I mean if you are using an old machine with 2GB of RAM & 100 GB of Harddrive don’t expect a flawless performance indeed it’s very difficult to install virtual operating in such low config machine. so better use a good config computer to avoid hurdles.
Now came on to point…
Comparing VMware vs. VirtualBox
So you are looking to create provision virtual machines (VMs) in your physical machines. right, that’s why you are looking for VMware or VirtualBox.In terms of virtual Computing both solution’s works flawlessly. But it’s too early to judge Best one let’s dig deep into specifications. VMware able to serve many task’s VMware used to set up a private cloud, to manage mobile devices in your corporate network, to protect endpoints, and of course, to virtualize stuff. VMware was the first in the market to virtualize the x86 architecture.
But in this article we are not going to lighten those parts of VMware ( private cloud and all) We only talk about their desktop virtualization tool for Windows and Linux — and VMware Fusion — their desktop virtualization tool for Mac.
While VirtualBox is Oracle’s Product to competitive VMware VirtualBox is a free and open-source solution that works with all x86 platforms including Windows, Mac, Linux, and Solaris. The latest version (5.1.6) was released September 12, 2016.
Basically, VirtualBox is free for everyone for educational, personal use it’s completely free. but if you are thinking to use it on more than 1 device for commercial intent you have to purchase a valid Licence Key from Oracle.
Now come back to VMware and VirtualBox
For Desktop virtualization, VMware’s Workstation offers many features. VMware comes with two editions “Player” and “Pro” editions namely, that you can’t run multiple VMs at the same time, create encrypted VMs, or share VMs as servers.
Few features offered by VMware workstation listed below –
- Mass deployment
- Host/guest file sharing
- USB smart card reader support
- USB 3.0 support
- VM sharing
- Integration w/ vSphere/ESXi server
- Integration w/ vCloud Air
- 3D graphics with DX10 and OpenGL 3.3 support
While VirtualBox Offer These Features
- Cross-platform compatibility (installs on Mac, Linux, Windows, Solaris computers)
- Command line interaction
- Shared folders and clipboard
- Special drivers and utilities to facilitate switching between systems
- Seamless mode (lets you run virtual applications next to normal ones)
- Limited support for 3D graphics (up to OpenGL 3.0)
- Can exchange disk images with VMware
- VM video capture
- VM disk image encryption (with extension pack)
- Virtual USB 2.0/3.0 support (with extension pack)
Drawbacks of using VirtualBox compare to VMWare
VirtualBox has limited support for 3D graphics. As compare to VMWare machine VirtualBox offers Limited 3D Graphics. In case you are a heavy user . or using heavy 3D graphics you might be in trouble.
rollback point – both Machine’s VMware and VirtualBox offering a rollback point. In case you are testing a piece of crap in your VM machine operating system. your Operating system Crash / Failed you need not to install it from the sketch. You are able to restore it on an earlier point called rollback point. this is a great feature that includes in both VMware and the VirtualBox
Pricing – VMware vs VirtualBox
VMware and Virtual Both are free for personal and Education uses but if one likes to deploy for commercial. have to buy a pro version or the commercial license from respective company. so both are free in a sense both are not free 🙂 VMware Workstation Pro cost you around $149.99.
Same as VMware VirtualBox is also free for educational and personal use purpose. one can share VirtualBox because it comes with GPLv2 Licence. but to add an extension pack one have to buy a license from Oracle. So, It is free only for non-commercial use, But if you want then you can get enterprise-level feature by purchasing commercial licenses at $50.
VirtualBox developed by Innotek GmbH, Later Company sold software to Oracle. So, Currently, VirtualBox is being developed by Oracle Corporation. VirtualBox an open source program for x86 operating system including Linus, MacOS, Windows, FreeBSD
Drawbacks of Virtual Machines – Virtual Machine took a lot of computer resource’s so to run a Virtual Machine on your computer efficiently. You need a machine with good configuration. for example, a PC with 1 GB of ram 100 GB of hard disk is not a good build for VM machines because user going to install multiple Operating systems in a single machine with the help of VM. (VMware or Virtual Machine) so first check your computer config before let deciding for any Virtual Machine.
System Requirements. (VMware vs VirtualBox)
Again in System Requirements, System must have a minimum of 4GB of ram to run VM machine efficiently. There’s no official Guide regarding System Requirements but it is necessary for the system having 4GB of RAM minimum.
Download, Installation & Interface.
VMware / VirtualBox – Download Installations and User Interface is good for both the applications. You may choose one which suits you better. Installations wise VMware is easy to setup but VirtualBox is n’t a hard one. you may try which one suit you.
How to Install VMware ( Setup Guide) –
(It is available for Windows and Linux OS)
- In the very first user have to Download and Install VMware workstation on your Computer from there official website.
- We recommend Disable, Windows Defender Real-time protection while installing Software.
- After installation Complete, Open software and you”ll get Create a New Virtual Machine option. Click it
- The software will give you three option now, If you have ISO file then select the second option. And then browse for ISO file and then click on next button.
- Enter Name and Click Next
- Enter disk size [Depends how much you want to allow].
- On final setup page you”ll get customize hardware option. There you can select RAM for OS, Processor, Network Adapter, Display, and other components.
- To exit from the virtual machine press Ctrl+Alt hotkeys
VirtualBox, Small Setup Guide.
This Guide is for Windows, Linux, OS X, Solaris
- Download VirtualBox, Click install.
- Open VirtualBox Software Click on create a Virtual Machine Button[new Button].
- Enter Name, select OS type, OS version hit next
- On “Create Virtual Machine” Window click Expert Mode. select RAM size and create the virtual disk
- After complete installation of VM machine click on start button to run Virtual Machine.
- when User Click on start button software asks to select ISO file. Select ISO file using file icon, click on start button.
- Virtual Machine is successfully Started with OS.
FAQ People also ask –
Q1 – Which is the Best VM
our picks for the best virtual machine applications available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Q 2. What is VMware what it does?
VMware is basically a Desktop Virtualization Solution. virtualization lets you run multiple virtual machines on a single Computer machine, with each virtual machine sharing the resources of that one physical computer across multiple environments. For Example, if you want to test a very old operating system Program. A user might need to install a new operating system. But VMware allowed you to install old operating system in newly ex- window 10 with the help of VM.
Q3. Is VMware Free?
VMware Workstation Player formerly known as Player Pro is completely free for educational and Personal use. but if the user wants to deploy for commercial use. Have to buy a Licence for VMware Workstation Pro (Windows) and Fusion Pro (Mac)
best virtual machine for mac
Again the Same Question, that means still confused I suggest you download both software applications on your system. took the trail and find out what attracted you most in both machines. For me, VMware Fusion Pro works best for me. If you have any similar question or doubt regarding VM Machines just comment below we include your question in our article. try to solve users query regarding the Desktop Virtualizations.
Images Sources – Google Images